Employment at the Library
Reports to: Head of Circulation Department
Hours: Part-Time (20-24 hours weekly)
Hourly Rate: $10.00/hr, increasing to $10.50 after 90 days.
High School Diploma or equivalent, successful background check and successful completion of 90-day probationary period required.
Ability to accept the challenge of working directly with the public; learn the rules and regulations of the library system; learn library circulation processes; learn the computerized automation system; communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Must be able to follow a weekly work schedule and oral and written instructions. Must possess the ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public, establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow workers and staff members, multitask and work with frequent interruptions, make decisions within department guidelines and work independently in a variety of work situations
The schedule for this position requires flexibility and the ability and willingness to work night and weekend hours.
This position requires the ability to stand for extended periods and to lift and manipulate materials and equipment up to 40 lbs.
- Greets, assists, and refers patrons according to their needs
- Attends and participates in Circulation Staff meetings
- Makes recommendations for improvement in services
- Maintains composure while handling complaints from the public
- Refer patrons to head of department or the director when encountering abusive or difficult patrons
- Remains calm when placed in a stressful situation
- Maintains a sense of humor
- Performs circulation desk routines which may include:
- Perform opening and closing procedures
- Prepare daily money drawer
- Empty bookdrop throughout the day
- Check materials in and out
- Clean and evaluate materials for mending (do minor mending if necessary)
- Sort materials for shelving, requests and in transit
- Maintain registration for programs
- Process renewals and requests, includes notification of patrons' requests
f interested, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, December 8th.